Saturday, June 7th, 2014 10:00 a.m.
Decoration Week May 31 - June 6, 2014
Welcome to the 2014 Portland Rose Festival Volunteer Float Decorators registration site. Sign up here to help decorate the floats in the 2014 Grand Floral Parade.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteer decorators work during the final week before the parade. All construction is done by this time, and decorators apply the organic materials that cover every visible surface of the float.
About Registering Online
This site will take you through the steps of registering to help decorate. When you click the link at the bottom of this page, you will be taken to a page which tells you a little about what to expect at the decorating facility. On the page after that you will be asked to read and agree to a short list of rules for volunteer decorators. Finally you will arrive at an online form where you can fill in your information and choose the days and times you want to work. This form will automatically be sent to SCi 3.2 when you press the “submit” button on the screen. Remember to print your schedule before you hit the submit button if you would like a copy. You will receive a confirmation that your submission has been received, and you will receive updates from the SCi 3.2 volunteer coordinator as we get closer to the event.
Your volunteer hours can help a non-profit
Although volunteer decorators are never paid directly, your time can help make a contribution to an important local non-profit. For each hour you work, SCi 3.2 will donate 50 cents to Hands On Greater Portland.
Help us keep track of your hours, please sign in and out at our check-in table at the decorating site.
Click on the link below to learn more about Hands On Portland. www.handsonportland.org
What to expect
The decorating facility
As a volunteer decorator, you will be working in one of two large warehouses. These buildings have big open doors, and are not heated.
When you arrive
When you arrive at SCi 3.2, you will find a “decorator check-in” tent in the street. The people at the tent will be able to direct you to the float you are assigned to work on.
It is often cooler inside the buildings than outside, so please come prepared with warm clothes. As a volunteer decorator, you will work with adhesives, wet floral materials, and occasionally paint. You may also be climbing around on dirty scaffolding and ladders. Please wear clothes which can get dirty and possibly damaged.
There is no food available for purchase in the float warehouse.
Rules and Regulations
- Only people 14 and older are allowed to work on the float. Children 13 and under are not allowed to help and may only be in the decorating area temporarily as part of an organized tour group. Our insurance company requires this and does not allow us to make exceptions.
- SCi 3.2 has the right to bar and/or remove from the float facility anyone not conforming to the following rules and regulations.
- No firearms or other weapons are allowed in the float decorating facility.
- SMOKING is NOT ALLOWED in the float decorating facility. Smoking is allowed in designated smoking areas only. No matches, lighters or other open flames are allowed.
- Use and/or possession of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances is not allowed.
- SCi 3.2 does not accept responsibility for parking, security for decorator’s vehicles or personal property. This is the decorator’s responsibility.
- Every decorator must check in at the Volunteer Decorators Table each time they arrive for work. Individual decorators must also check out, if they wish to donate their volunteer hours to this year’s charity. If you forget to check out, we will not be able to calculate the hours you have worked, and therefore we will not be able to make a contribution to the charity you have chosen.
- A signed agreement must be on file with SCi 3.2 in order for registered groups to receive credit for hours worked.
- Radios, CDs, Cassettes, and MP3 players are not permitted.
- Decorators are expected to stay in the immediate vicinity of their own float. Respect other people’s materials and work area. Obey all posted “SCi 3.2 Staff Only” signs.
- Decorators must receive proper instruction before using any ladder or scaffolding. Do not climb on scaffolding unless you have a specific job to do. When your job is complete please come down off the scaffolding.
- Decorators are not allowed to move scaffolding – only SCi 3.2 employees may do this. If you feel scaffolding needs to be moved, contact a supervisor.
- No food or drink is allowed on the scaffolding or on the floats.